You’re in your last month of being 29 and you’re nowhere near where you thought you would be in life. Insert unwelcome thoughts. Life, right? I know I am not alone. As 30 approaches (June 9th to be exact), I can’t help but think back on my 20s (and even my teens) and picture how different I thought this all would be at this point in my life.
Life Doesn’t Always Go To Plan
If you asked me at age 21 where I would be at 30, I would have told you “Living in a home I own, married to an awesome man and we would have at least 2 kids.”
Did any of that happen? Nada. Zilch. Not even close.
Instead, I am often couch surfing from a house/pet sitting job, to a friend’s farm, to my brother’s place, to a random city I find myself in for horse show purposes (and sometimes a vacation), and then back to my parent’s house where I live to save money and pay off debt.
As much as this may sound like a complaint, it’s really not. I know this is all temporary and I will enjoy this part of my life as much as I can. It’s just not where I planned to be.
You may find yourself in a similar situation. You may not be where you want to be. That’s okay – remember it’s all temporary.
Close your eyes and picture yourself living your dream life. This picture can change (and again, that is okay). Here’s an example of mine…
- I am riding again (that’s another story) and am working towards earning my Bronze medal in dressage. Maybe getting over a jump or two (we’re talking 18 inch X’s y’all).
- I have a deeper relationship with Jesus and live it daily (thank you for loving the mess that I am Lord).
- I have a successful business where I am making money on my own terms and enjoy doing what I love every single day, even when some days are tougher than others.
(you’ll learn more about that in a bit).
- I am living in a place I can call my own, where there is enough room for my books and hobbies (computers and crafting take up space).
- I am married to my best friend and building a family with him (honestly I couldn’t tell you what this looks like right now because I am as single as a Pringle as I write this…but just go with it).
- I feel confident in my skin and do not judge myself for how I look (hello stubborn fat).
- DEBT free (bye bye student loans and credit cards)
So, am I close to any of that? Yeah, no. Maybe 20%.
There is beauty in this chapter – it’s not about the destination but the journey.
So buckle up, we’re in this together. And if you’re not, but just enjoy my writing, that’s fine too (we’re still in this together).